Tuesday, November 22, 2022


The inherently tardy semi-annual update from Barney 

(cleverly posted in timely fashion in advance of “Giving Tuesday”)

“...And now, behold, I am this day eighty-five years old. I am still as strong today as I was in the day that Moses sent me; my strength now is as my strength was then...so now give me this hill country...” Joshua 14:10-12

Ah, my hero: Caleb. I am not 85; I’ll be 78 this Christmas Eve. And I am not as strong today as I was even last month; the trajectory of aging has made itself evident much more physically than in other ways, unrelentingly so. Yet, here I still find myself blessed by the ability to provide services to members of the missionary community, still able to travel, still able to be part of the big picture of member care. I am grateful.

I suppose I should be making plans for when I cannot do this work; I had originally targeted age 75 as a time of cutting back travel to the field and even virtual care, but when I reached that milestone I realized that I had no clue of what “retirement” would look like; all the plans for the sunset years that Karen and I had made (there was a boat involved in there somewhere) are simply not attractive without her. And, I’m still having more fun doing the work I can do than I have ever experienced in 48 years of medical practice. So, for now, Lord willing I will shoot for the round number of 80, not to retire but to plan cutting back a bit on travel, spending more time doing on-line consultation and care. The needs for member care are still great and increasing, and as long as I have the ability to offer help I do plan to do so, even if I’m still lagging a few years behind Caleb.

This year included several international trips (Greece for CMDE; Thailand for MedRefresh) as well as multiple in-USA conferences and consultations; the majority of the work involved providing care to those serving in “global health work”, i.e., medical missionaries whose ministry involves using their medical skills to create opportunities in remote and restricted areas to spread the good news of the gospel. It’s a high risk, typically stressful work where attrition of current workers often outpaces deployment of new ones. I am privileged to be assisting with the “Longevity Project”, developing outreach and support designed specifically for these workers both on-site and virtually to make it possible for them to continue their work. I am already scheduled for similar outreach in Thailand and Turkey in the first half of 2023.

All the travel components of ministry are expensive, and most of that expense is my responsibility (on occasion, the sending agency will provide some level of reimbursement; I don’t charge a fee for any medical/psychiatric service). Many of you have graciously supported this work in the past and I am grateful to those that can continue to do so. The logistics of giving (tax-deductible donation) are at the bottom of this note.

Were I able to share all the stories of what I have seen the Lord do in the lives of missionaries, including my own, we’d have to live longer than Caleb to do justice to the list. This is the best work in the world. I am blessed. Your prayers and support are cherished.

May the remainder of 2022 bring blessings of family, reunion, and increased awareness of His amazing grace...

Barney

barney.davis@barnabas.org

Instructions for donations: www.barnabas.org, click on the blue “Give” button at top right Click on “Browse Global Servants” box in the “Give to a Global Servant” option Scroll down until you see my picture; click on the green “Give” button

For surface mail donations or to use a debit or credit card, additional details are at the bottom of the “Give” page 

Barnabas International

PO Box 708

Elkhorn, WI 53121

815-395-1335 

No comments:

Post a Comment