Sunday, September 16, 2012

CONFABULATION


[this was a tough one to write; almost did not post it. there are, in fact, glimpses and periods of joy and humor in our situation; I will write about those someday. this is not that writing]

              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self….”                                                                                                                              Colossians 3:9


Confabulation:  the automatic, subconscious fabrication of experiences or situations, often recounted in a detailed and plausible way to fill in and cover up cognitive impairment or memory loss, which may be caused by alcoholism; head injuries; dementia; or lead poisoning.                                                                                                                                                                  Mosby’s Medical Dictionary, 8th ed.


“What are you looking for?” I ask Karen as she rummages through the refrigerator. “Nothing”, she replies, “I was just checking to see if we had enough drinks for today”. Sounds plausible, but it is 6:30 a.m., she has her standard yogurt cup in one hand, a spoon in the other, and is obviously trying to locate the dry cereal that she has put in her yogurt every morning for five years (it is in the cupboard adjacent to the fridge, its usual location). I silently point to the cupboard, she gets the cereal, fills her cup, and sits down to start eating breakfast. There was no prior “Where do we keep the cereal?”, no subsequent “Thank you”, and certainly not the rarely heard “I have forgotten where the cereal is; will you help me?”

Karen trusts that God knows what He is doing even in her illness, and in any group situation when it may simplify things if we tell others about her memory problem, she is always willing to do so, and usually makes a comment affirming that “God is in control”. But one-on-one, if someone asks her directly any question that would require memory access (doesn’t make any difference how far back or how recent; “What did you guys do last night?” is no more accessible than “How long have you guys been married?”), and if I am not immediately there to answer or clarify, she will provide an answer. The answer almost always sounds rational and believable, so there is no way for the hearer to know that it may be completely fabricated. In the now-almost-eleven years of our slow journey through the land of dementia, I have never heard her answer anyone’s question with “I can’t remember”; she has only done so with me three times in those years (I shouldn’t keep count, but the occasion is so rare that I recall each one in detail) unless I ask her first, “Do you remember…?” This is confabulation, the mind’s automatic effort to contrive artificial information rather than face the reality of not being able to retrieve accurate data.

We pledged early on in our marriage ( and long before I had any spiritual reason to do so) to never lie to each other. Thus it was so devastating when the conflicts began to arise where Karen would recall or report things one way and I had totally different perspective or information; we personalized it: she called me a liar more times than I can recall, and I know I responded in kind. Things got so bad about five years ago that I obtained my own neuropsychological assessment, checking on my own memory capability or lack thereof; after all, “he said; she said” conflicts when they only involve perception and memory with no actual record of the event could be evidence that either one (or both) had faulty recall of which they may not be aware, and if I was the one having problems then I had no business practicing medicine. There was some internal relief when I passed my tests, but it had no impact on Karen’s belief that she was right and I was wrong. The problem, of course, is that her confabulation is subconscious, unintentional, and serves to protect her awareness from the pain of the reality of not being aware. She isn’t lying in the true sense, in that she completely feels that the answer she gives is 100% accurate; at that moment, it is what she remembers.

So why does this bother me so much?
-      simple logistics, for one: one can never trust the information, so one must be very, very careful about acting on that information.  And, it requires me to be within earshot of anyone who is asking Karen a question, as she may answer with something that if not corrected can lead to rather interesting conclusions or subsequent plans on the part of the naïve inquisitor.
-      male pride, for another: I want my wife to trust me, enough to tell me that she doesn’t remember something, to ask for my help, to lean on me so we can get through this together. If she acts like she doesn’t need me, becomes angry if I have to correct information (which I have learned to never do unless absolutely necessary to avoid adverse outcomes), or seemingly is ungrateful for my running interference, it hurts.
-      I can’t shake the theological implication of the reality of lying, regardless of the etiology. God says we shouldn’t, and when we do, we are violating his commandment.

But, that probably isn’t why this lack of honesty, for whatever reason it may exist, is so problematic for me. Karen has a recognized cause that at least explains, if not excuses, her lack of truthfulness. Yes, she hates not looking competent in the eyes of others, and no, she has never been comfortable accepting any form of correction; those are flesh patterns that plague me more than her.  But in her case, some rogue amyloid protein has damaged the part of her brain that would call spiritual awareness of one’s own behavior into play, to draw one toward honest recognition of difficulty and away from a need to deny or hide a problem. I don’t have (yet?) such a convenient biomechanical explanation for why I still try to look better in the eyes of others, still try to minimize my own complicity in life mistakes, and would even write such a polemic as this to shift attention away from my own shortcomings.

Even as I am preparing for my next presentation as co-teacher of our adult Sunday School class, doing an overview of Genesis 12-45, I am reminded of how disingenuous any of us can be. Abraham lies by saying that his wife Sarah is his sister, later his son Isaac repeats the same offense with Rebekah,  and his son Jacob by his deception and conniving behaviors lives down to the meaning of his own name (“supplanter; deceiver”). And these are the Patriarchs that God chose as the initial instruments of the process of restoration of his people to himself.

This has been a week when I wish I were in different circumstances. It is wearying to have to anticipate potential trouble areas that might arise, confusion generated by confabulation. I wince when others write to tell me that I am some form of role model in how I am caring for Karen; I know within my own heart that being here is not always where I want to be. We found out earlier this week that the experimental drug Karen has been receiving for the past two years does not appear to have any significant hope of reversing the damage of Alzheimer’s, but then were also told that there is some evidence it may slow the progress of the disease, so they are keeping her in the “open label” study to see if it does in fact grant us more time. And therein lays the challenge: things will not get better, but they may not get worse, at least not for some time to come. The confabulation, the lack of trust, the reminders of my own heart issues, may go on, and on, and on.

As I am going deeper into my study of the Old Testament, I see how the character of God is so vividly and repetitively revealed, over months, over years, over millennia: He keeps His promises. His word is truth. He chose the Patriarchs, in spite of their dishonest tendencies. He chose me, and Karen, to be His children before either of us ever had a chance to utter our first, or last, lie. I do not like where we are. But I like, a lot, this aspect of God’s unchanging character. In spite of our confabulations or any other of a multitude of sins, He has promised us something so very much better. And He keeps His promises. He tells the truth, He will not lie. There is hope.

So, be honest with each other this week. Be honest with yourself this week. Be honest with God, although He already knew about it anyway. And when someone is honest with you, cherish the moment…

It is the stuff from which hope arises….

Barney

No comments:

Post a Comment