I am
struggling to write another update, prompted once again by Becky and Carey at
the home office of Godspeed as they prepare a newsletter and need something
from me about our current status. In the past I would just wait for the
Spirit/muse to bring something to mind and would find the words flowing, a
river of discourse that I usually would have to then edit to avoid excess;
today, there is only a mere trickle, with insufficient volume to determine any
direction. So, dipping in to retrieve
and offer a sip here and there from…
…a dwindling stream: Karen’s
health, my work, our options…
Things
are not going well in this area. We had our annual review with the neurologists
last week (we see them much more often, but this was an annual summary of tests
which were reviewed to determine progress or decline) and were told that
officially Karen is now in the “moderate” or “middle” stage of Alzheimer’s, also
known as “moderately severe cognitive decline”, the fifth of seven stages of
dementia as defined by researchers. No real news to me, but hearing it from the
experts brought the reality home. I am still working two mornings per week but
that may change in July as the prison system where I offer clinical care is
coming under new management. I am still able to offer some counsel and consultation
to the missionary community via e-mail and Skype, but as I am less and less
visible and interactive in the “member care” community, I find fewer people seeking
me out; this, in turn, is teaching me about…
…polluted waters: the sad
state of the self…
“I’ve
never had a selfless thought…” is a line from a C.S. Lewis poem, one with which
I completely identify. As dealing with Karen’s illness has diminished the sphere
of any influence that we may have ever had, I find myself in an arid place. I thrived
on being useful to people, and it is increasingly evident that those efforts
were more self-serving than altruistic. God is showing me just how much of my
thought, my time, my energy has been expended to ensure that river barney flows
unhindered. As we have been intensively studying the Gospel of Mark in church,
examining Mark’s primary purpose of showing just who Jesus is, it dawned on me
that I know much more about Alzheimer’s than I do about Jesus, that I think
more about psychiatry and medical issues and flying and sailing and my need to
be needed than I do about the reality of my salvation; in short, the waters of
river barney are polluted with a lot of barney. And even writing about it is
self-focused, a stagnant pool of first person singular. Which brings me to “…Who
will save me from this body of death?”…
…living water: sometimes
underground, sometimes turbulent, but always flowing…
In
the midst of it all, in spite of it all, there is that sense that for reasons
that can only be attributed to God’s grace, things will be alright. It isn’t
about whether Karen responds to the new research drug, or is miraculously
healed, or continues to decline into unresponsiveness. It isn’t about whether I
will ever be of any useful service to prisoner, missionary, colleague, or
spouse. Even though I cannot think for one moment outside my own inherently
desiccated self, God has chosen to nourish me. I cannot explain it any better
than that. Things are dry here, but there is plenty of water, flowing abundantly.
I customarily close my notes by saying that I would love to hear your comments; my puny
stream of self, seeking to be fed by hearing how/that others think about me, is still
meandering along. But better yet, take a look around your own circumstances and
then let me know where you are hearing the waters in your own life, how you are
being nourished in the midst of it all…
See you ‘round the bend….
BD, with Karen alongside
barneydavis@gmail.com
Interesting Barney, but I was thinking of you this morning and how I would really like to run some things by you that are happening here, just to get some clarity. But I hesitated, knowing how difficult your present circumstances are.
ReplyDeleteDon't think you're not being sought out because you're not thought of or needed. Maybe some, like me, see doing that at this time selfish and inconsiderate. Never thought you might be interested or even able at this time. I think you're being a little hard on yourself. I have taken some life-giving drinks from "River Barney." I'd like to again. Praying for you, my friend.
Boy do I know how you feel...gave the farm house to John and moved into town...thought would see move of friends, have people over, and have a more social life....Well that hasn't happened after 8 years. I spend a great deal of my time doing genealogy. Looking at dead people's info is easier than living with the living. Now that needs improvement!! I do go to genealogy class and contribute there, and also visit with my children... luckily they live close.
ReplyDeleteAs I have told you before...the caregiver of an alz. pat. has the hardest time. They know what is going on...they feel the loss...they have to take care of all the little personal things that the care-receiver did. The thing that really needs to be stressed to someone in your place is to find other activities...let someone help you with care...keep your mind active...otherwise, you are the one that will die first...!!
The Lord doesn't give you what you are unable to do. You know that, but it sure is nice when you get a little company, help and love from others to make the job easier to do.
Remember that you are loved by all the family and we would do anything to help...there just isn't much you can do!
Love you... You and Karen are in our prayers.
Luayne
Barney,
ReplyDeleteAs I have attempted to navigate the "rapids of my life", I have found great solace in your point of view during several key moments in my personal journey. That perspective has been like a "lazy river" of rest during some turbulent moments.
So grateful for my Dear Brother in Christ ...
Bill